01 Februar 2006

sotu thoughts

Well, my background is US politics, so I'll crap something out about Bush's POS SOTU. First of all, the focus on energy is pretty ridiculous. There's no way he's going to work for energy independence; it's just not in the interest of the interests that control the government. Plus, Bush is wrong (hey, there's a new one!). It's not about making ethanol viable as fuel within a certain amount of time, it's about making ethanol or whatever competitive against foreign oil. Matt Yglesias nails this point: if you are trying to reduce dependence on oil you need to tax it and not subsidize it.

In other State of the Union news, it has come to my attention that Cindy Sheehan's done. It's not that her fifteen minutes of fame are up, it's that she's entirely destroyed her calling card. She was supposed to just be a mom that was looking for an explanation for poor little Casey. Now it turns out she's pretty much a walking, talking, America-hating liberal stereotype. She's got ulterior motives up the ass. Anyone who calls Bush a terrorist is just being a stupid flamebaiter. Even liberal Jon Stewart has the good sense to smack down this crap.

1 Kommentar:

Erik hat gesagt…

Hey Chris.

I actually didn't get to see the SOTU last night I was busy catching up on the state of my homework. Don't think I missed much though. Garmisch looked like it was pretty sweet. You gotta put more pictures up. Where else are you travelling to? Anywhere else before TUrin? That is gonna be f-ing amazing. I am so excited. I think the Deutscher/in are gonna be sweet this year. Tobi Angerer and Claudia Keunzel. You should post a blog on that before you go. Viel spass. Bis spater.